Adjustment Clinic with Piper: September 22, 2019
Sunday, September 22 - 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm
Led by Piper
Adjustments to yoga poses come in a variety of forms including physical, verbal and energetic. In this workshop we will explore the basic skills of observation and touch, and how these skills support intelligent adjustments. You will learn how to provide differentiated instruction to address each student as a unique individual, while maintaining a flowing experience for the rest of the class.
Safe, efficient and intelligent adjustments start with a thorough understanding of the qualities and experience in the pose. Sthira Sukham Asanam (11.46). A posture is held with steadiness and ease. This includes our sense of alignment, stability and perceptual awareness. From this felt-sense we develop the intention or quality of the adjustment for a particular pose. We learn to "see" and "feel" the adjustment before applying the technique.
Through observation we gather information about the pose, we see the aspects of the pose that are allowing or restricting optimal expression and flow. We assess the student's desire or capacity to receive an adjustment. We gain permission and we sense and observe this process continually throughout the adjustment. The adjustment delivers the feedback of what has been observed, and provides a suggestion to the student for a way of exploring the pose more deeply on a physical, mental and energetic level.
You will learn
- how to assess if an adjustment is needed/ wanted
- for whom and when do we adjust
- permission and consent- a continual process
- how to “see” an adjustment before adjusting
- in what order do we offer adjustments
- qualities of a good adjustment
- proper body mechanics while adjusting
- how to create points of stability and coupling
- how to approach, hold and leave an adjustment
- pressure and direction applied in physical adjustments
- how to match verbal, energetic and hands-on adjustments
Please come prepared to practice, adjust and be adjusted. This workshop is suitable for 200, 300 and 500 hour certified teachers. Please call for more info (802)658-9642